Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Divorce Lawyer Accused of Malpractice for Quoting Jack McCoy Too Many "Goddamn" Times




By Jared H. Daley

BRIDGEPORT -- Connecticut divorce attorney Allen Falkirk was accused of malpractice by his client for quoting Sam Waterston’s Law & Order character, Jack McCoy, eight times in a divorce proceeding. Falkirk’s client, Grant Mathewson and his wife of 12 years were separating following a boating incident in which the couple’s young son was killed. In the divorce proceeding Falkirk rebuffed Mrs. Mathewson’s claims of negligence by her husband by repeatedly yelling, “you son of a bitch! You played me!,” an infamous McCoy line. Mrs. Mathewson’s attorney then asked if Falkirk would like a recess. Falkirk responded in typical McCoy style saying, “never get Freudian with a man holding a pickle.” Seeing the perplexed looks on the faces of the judge, opposing counsel, and the Mathewsons, Falkirk quickly interjected, “I remember how hard it was when I realized my father was a son of a bitch.”

Much of the Mathewson family's possessions were granted to Mrs. Mathewson, and Mr. Mathewson is irate over the incident. “He couldn’t just quote Detective Briscoe? Sure it wouldn’t have made any sense, but at least his one liners are memorable and funny!” Falkirk apologized for the uncharacteristic outbursts blaming a weekend marathon of “The Best of Jack McCoy” on TNT. “They really should warn you when you watch that show. One moment I’m in court and arguing that my client should get the frequent flier miles and then next thing I know I’m screaming ‘stupidity isn’t a defense to murder’ at the judge.” Falkirk did find some silver lining in the incident, saying that “in the end it didn’t really matter. He was banging the housekeeper anyway, and I’m pretty sure his wife knew.”

When asked about the incident, Waterston, who played McCoy for almost 20 years on TV, said that it was not the first time he had heard about lawyers doing this after a weekend marathon. "I used to quote my character in my sleep. Do you know how embarrassing it is to be at a funeral and say, 'your grief might seem a little more real had you not just admitted you cut off your wife's head.' That guy in Bridgeport just lost track of reality, but honestly I could care less now. I'm doing those TD Bank commercials and I don't have to deal with that dick Fred Thompson anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment